Projects: Set Defaults
You may want to create more than one project, each with a different appearance.
- Format Charts allows you to create a separate color scheme for each project;
- Indicator Panel creates indicators for a specific project; and
- View >> Project Defaults controls how the project opens:
- On a specified security;
- The time period;
- Chart Interval - whether daily, weekly or monthly; and
- Chart Type - whether OHLC, Candles or Closing Price.
Pre-set project files are available at File >> Open
Project (or on the bottom project tab).
See examples below.
Note that the daily project is called Default.
- Set up a chart as you want it to appear on opening the project;
- Select View >> Project Defaults or simply use the F6 shortcut key;
- Existing defaults are displayed in [square brackets]
[Weekly] at the top of the above example is the project name;
- Amend the settings by selecting either:
- Use Current Chart Type to create a new default; or
- Remove to clear an existing default;
- Click OK when completed.
Only set this if you want the project to open every time on a specific security, such as the S&P 500. It should be left blank if you are creating separate Daily, Weekly and Monthly projects; or a specific study to be used in conjunction with other projects (e.g. Multiple Moving Averages).
Time period can be varied from 1 Month to 10 Years or longer.
Daily, weekly or monthly chart interval. This can also be used to set Equivolume or Point & Figure charts as the default.
Logarithmic or Normal price scale.
Select from OHLC, Candles or Closing Price.
Here are some of Colin's favorite project defaults:
|Time Period:||3 Months||3 Years||6 Years||3 Years||3 Years|
|Chart Interval:||Daily||Daily**||Daily**||Box 5
* The Default project doubles as the "Daily" project file
** Colin prefers the Closing Price line graph but many will select weekly and monthly intervals
*** Use a smaller P&F box size of 1 for low volatility stocks and indices
Appropriate indicators can be added to each project.