- Volume spikes are days on which there is unusually high volume activity, measured by comparing daily volume to a 50-day exponential moving average (of volume). The spikes are used to confirm signals such as breakouts.
- See Volume Patterns for further details.
- This stock screen combines well with Volatility Ratio.
- > 1.5 times
Volume is more than 50% higher than the 50-day moving average.
- > 2.0 times
Volume is more than double the 50-day moving average.
To Set the Volume Spike Screen:
- Select the Volume filter
- Then select the Spikes filter
- Choose the amount of times the volume exceeds 50-Day VMA
- Select the number of days within which the spike must have occurred or exclude
- Click on the Add button to add the filter.